I crave Mexican food. Frequently. This past weekend it got to me. I had to make something. Burritos. Covered in “cheese” sauce…sigh. There is something so comforting about the warmth and texture of Mexican food. Well, this is my take on a favorite that i didn’t know was a favorite until I started craving it this week 🙂 Enjoy!
- 1 12 ounce can Black-refried beans
- 1 bag Gardein chicken strips (you can try a different kind of protein if you like, this was what I used because it is what I had on hand)
- 1 box Spanish Rice (I use Zatarains – it’s vegan 🙂 )
- Whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups Romaine lettuce
- 3 Tomatos (I use roma)
- 2 Avocados
- My nacho cheese sauce (you’ll only end up using part of the recipe, just fyi)
- In a glass container (I use cornel shown above)
- Put some of the nacho cheese in the bottom
- Warm a tortilla and layer it with: black refried beans, spanish rice, “chicken”, romaine lettuce, avocado, tomato.
- Fold and place in container.
- Repeat until container is full
- Cover with cheese sauce and let set for 5-10 minutes
- I cut one in half for a serving and that is a LOT of food – so be careful. I accompany it with chips and salsa, as well as some of my avocado sauce.