This is my simple go-to breakfast. I have it most mornings (unless I’m lazy or running late and just grab a banana). Not sure how you will all feel about it, but for me, it does the trick 🙂
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk (I use unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup frozen fruit (I use mixed berrries)
- 1 banana (whatever size you want)
- 1 T whole flax seeds (I use a coffee grinder to pummel them into submission for adding to the drink)
- Shaker cup
- Put soy milk and banana into the blender – blend until smooth
- Add the frozen fruit – blend until smooth
- Pour into shaker glass (Mine has a little ball in it to mix) and add the ground up flax seed
- Shake Shake Shake
VOILA! My breakfast drink 🙂 It holds me longer than anything else I have found (for me) and gives me awesome energy.
One of the hardest things about being Vegan is that people think you always have to be healthy….I KNOW this sounds funny, and you’re probably right, it is. But think about it. What’s the first thing people say to you when they find out you’re Vegan? Oh, so you only eat like veg and fruits? Le sigh. No, I eat much more than that…and I’m not *always* healthy (granted, about 98 percent of the time I am, but for those times I’m not…). So here is a list of *treats* that I let myself have – I try to limit my sweets to once or twice a week..
- Grapes – yup, COLD, freshly washed grapes. Seriously they kill almost any craving I have. It’s fabulous. If you like it really cold – freeze them. 🙂
- My all time favorite CHOCOLATE happy-place: simple, cheap, not horribly bad for you…Qbel Dark Chocolate Wafers (to die for in a pinch of chocolate need)
- Small bag of lays – yup lays. Vegan friendly and in no way healthy, they take care of that “afternoon snack at work” feeling I get. (p.s…I never used to like lays, they were boring, now I find them satisfying. Who knew.)
- Vegan Rice Cheddar Slices – they go great on crackers or rolled up with Tofurky and mustard 🙂
- Multi-grain bread with Strawberry preserves — heaven!
- Edamame – you can get it frozen at Trader Joes – awesome infusion of protein with a tiny bit of salt 🙂
- Vegan Twinkies – Strawberry and Cream “canoe boat” (confession – only had these once, but they made an impression 🙂 It helps that you have to have them shipped….harder to get 🙂 )
What about you? What kind of snacks do YOU like?
I am reposting this from One Green Planet – a fabulous place we should all visit often. It’s amazing to me on a daily basis what people assume I eat (Or don’t) just because I am vegan. I am hoping the recipes that I post show I eat more than Grass, Granola and tofu 🙂 Enjoy!
Ok, this is a simple thing I came up with because I wanted some avocado creamyness for My Favorite Burrito….this is pretty awesome 🙂 Hope you like it!
- 1 medium (softened) avocado
- 2 pinches – kosher salt
- 1/2 to 1 t lemon juice (fresh preferred)
- 4-5 T Vegan Sour Cream (generally I use 2 T for ever half an avocado used for this recipe)
Usually people want to use a food processor – don’t, it ruins the avocado. Hopefully you have a softened one, crush that with a big spoon and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Simple yet yummy 🙂 Goes well with chips or anything else you might want to dip into it :).
Note: if you want it more “liquid” substitute one of the tablespoons of sour cream for unsweetened soy milk.
I crave Mexican food. Frequently. This past weekend it got to me. I had to make something. Burritos. Covered in “cheese” sauce…sigh. There is something so comforting about the warmth and texture of Mexican food. Well, this is my take on a favorite that i didn’t know was a favorite until I started craving it this week 🙂 Enjoy!
This is the full set - it's only 2, but it's about 4 servings. Seriously, they're filling, take it easy 🙂
- 1 12 ounce can Black-refried beans
- 1 bag Gardein chicken strips (you can try a different kind of protein if you like, this was what I used because it is what I had on hand)
- 1 box Spanish Rice (I use Zatarains – it’s vegan 🙂 )
- Whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups Romaine lettuce
- 3 Tomatos (I use roma)
- 2 Avocados
- My nacho cheese sauce (you’ll only end up using part of the recipe, just fyi)
- In a glass container (I use cornel shown above)
- Put some of the nacho cheese in the bottom
- Warm a tortilla and layer it with: black refried beans, spanish rice, “chicken”, romaine lettuce, avocado, tomato.
- Fold and place in container.
- Repeat until container is full
- Cover with cheese sauce and let set for 5-10 minutes
- I cut one in half for a serving and that is a LOT of food – so be careful. I accompany it with chips and salsa, as well as some of my avocado sauce.
Single serving with avocado sauce and tortilla chips 🙂