Preface: until last week when I made these for the first time, I had NEVER made muffins before. I wasn’t even sure I had a muffin tin…turns out mom had given me one forever ago so I did :). Thank God for that – these are fabulous!! You can adapt the recipe to fit what you like, but these are mine.
This recipe is adapted from a fabulous blueberry one in the Vegetarian Times – as is my custom, I just used it as my base – added and changed things, making it quite a bit different, and more mine. 🙂
What you will need:
- ¼ cup soy garden earth balance butter (really any soy butter but this is my fav)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (although you can use sweetened, this recipe just doesn’t think we need the extra 🙂 )
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup Vegan Cane Sugar (white, in a bag @ Whole Foods)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I use stone-ground whole wheat)
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (i put a touch more)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- 1-2 large a little over-ripe banana (I mash this up with a fork before stirring in)
- Optional: 1 cup walnuts (just a thought – i’m allergic so I don’t include these)
- You will need a hand held electronic mixer and a muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a muffin tin with paper muffin liners.
- Mix all ingredients (save the chocolate chips and banana) together in mixing bowl.
- Once everything is combined, mash up the banana with a fork and whip using electronic mixer.
- Add in chocolate chips – stir (don’t use mixer).
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling three-quarters full. (I use a small ice cream scooper)
- Bake 35 minutes, or until tops are firm.
- Serving Size: Makes 24
For me – these are best when completely cooled. I freeze more than half of them and take them out as needed. 🙂 Enjoy!